Now that I’ve made some bitters, I need to use them, so tonight I whipped up what I’m calling a Chai Tea Gin and Tonic. I think it’s yummy. You?
- 1 thumb sized knob of fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of coconut sugar (raw sugar is also fine)
- 1 black tea bag (we use Yorkshire Gold; if all you have is Lipton – use two!)
- 4 ounces Bar Hill Gin (it is made with 100% honey!)
- Cardamom bitters
- Circular slice of orange rind
- Tonic water
Steps To Joy:
- Pour the gin into a glass or bowl and add the teabag. Let it sit for about ten minutes (it will turn brownish – the longer it sits the more it has the taste of tea – don’t over do it or it will be super bitter).
- Rub the rim of the glasses you are serving your drinks in with the raw ginger.
- Dice the ginger into rough chunks and toss them into a cocktail shaker.
- Add the sugar and a splash of the tea-infused gin to the cocktail shaker.
- Muddle until you can really smell the ginger.
- Add the rest of the tea-infused gin and give it a very good stir.
- Add in 8 drops of the cardamom bitters and stir (more or less to taste – since mine are homemade I did it based on these; if you have store-bought ones you may need more or less).
- Pour the gin equally between two ice-filled glasses and top up with the tonic water.
- Twist the orange rind over the glass and drop it in the drink.
- Serve with a stirrer!