I’m in Florida spending a few days with my sisters and, naturally, we are getting adventurous with food and booze. This morning, my sister cut up a pineapple to eat and it tasted like nothing… So I decided the best thing to do was to revive it with booze. Here’s my recipe:
- one pineapple
- 1/2 cup nice sugar (raw or turbinado) (use more or less depending on the sweetness of the pineapple)
- 1 cup or more nice dark rum
- a knob of ginger
Steps to joy:
- peel the pineapple and cut it into pieces.
- peel the ginger and cut into large pieces.
- dump the ginger and pineapple into a food processor and whizz until everything is smooth and juicy. It won’t get liquified; there will be some small chunks left.
- put the ginger/pineapple in a pitcher and add in the sugar and rum.
- let this sit for a few hours (overnight is best) to let the pineapple and ginger infuse the rum.
- sieve out the pulp so that you are left with a fairly clear dark liquid.
- pour over ice and enjoy. (garnish with a lemon or hibiscus flower if you want to be fancy)
Here are some pictures of our process: